Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Dear Anne Shirley

I'm not edgy. I'm not the girl you see across campus and think, "oh man she's cool. I bet she has secrets." I'm not the girl who can understand all the nuances of hip culture. I'm not dark or aloof. I don't inspire curiosity in anyone, let alone men.

I like tea and sweaters. I prefer to sit alone watching Netflix than be with people. I like books and journals. I like certain pens better than others. I'm a tutor. I like talking to elderly people. I like music, but I could care less what is popular. Other girls want Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice) I want Gilbert Blythe [Anne of Green Gables (even though Mr. Darcy is a close second)].

I'm not special or "different". I sometimes swear too much. Sometimes I say things I shouldn't. Sometimes I let myself take things too far in order to get someone to like me. I am flawed, but so is Anne (of Green Gables). She is wonderful; may I can be wonderful someday too.

No comments:

Post a Comment